Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

[Quilt #3] By Request, from family

It was such an honor to be asked by my aunts and great-aunt to make a quilt for a shower gift for my cousin.  It was plenty frightening, too, as I'd only made 2 before and didn't feel ready to take on a commission, but I'm usually not one to turn family down!  My cousin had a little boy and was expecting her daughter and they wanted to give her a special quilt.  They sent me pictures of the nursery with freshly painted green walls, black furniture, and pink accents; and with all that in mind I went to Hobby Lobby.

I found a really fun group of fabrics that had all the right colors that would work nicely in the striped layout I wanted to try.  So far I'd only done squares, and so I was looking forward to trying something different.  I was also expecting the striped layout to be simpler to quilt and that turned out to be true, mostly.  I once again couldn't resist the urge to piece the back and learned why you must very carefully choose how you piece the back if you are wanting the quilting threads to match the fabric.  I changed bobbin thread about 756 times while quilting and it was so frustrating!  But, once again, it turned out quite pretty and everyone in the family was so proud and thrilled!  I was too, and so happy that something I'd made would be a part of a little girl's fond childhood memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment